Monday, April 19, 2010

When a baby boomer faces reality ...

I'm not a baby boomer by the accepted definition since I was born in 1945.  However, I've always considered myself part of the baby boomer generation.  I identify with stories about how "boomers" have a difficult time coming to grips with the aging process.  This seems especially true in California, where physical beauty trumps intelligence, mental acuity, talent, resourcefulnesss, interest, productivity ... etc., etc., etc.

Baby boomers are reluctant to face the reality of aging.  According to published reports, we spend a fortune on exercise, plastic surgery, various treatments and supplements to prevent succombing to the inevitable.  Well, let me tell you, the inevitable is marching forth and there isn't a blessed thing you can do to stop it!

I've become increasingly aware over the last months that something always hurts.  Not a lot.  I can deal with it.  Nothing that stops me from doing what I want to do.  Nothing that interferes with my usual day and my usual activities.  But something ALWAYS hurts.  For instance, my right heel hurts in the morning.  So, I lie in bed anticipating those first few steps after rolling out of the bed.  I limp.  Yes, I limp.  It takes about 30 minutes for my right heel to stop hurting after I arise each and every morning.

Then there is my left knee.  It's okay as long as I stay on the straight and narrow (and level).  However, if I go up or down stairs, Whoa Nelly!  That knee speaks to me in no uncertain terms.  It is basically saying, "Don't rely on me.  I could give out at any second."  Hmmmm .... it also makes some crackling noises that I'm doing my best to ignore.

The undiagnosed pain in the gut rears its ugly head from time to time.  Just enough that I hesitate a moment and wonder if it is coming back.

I love to sew.  Now, however, I need to take an ibuprofen 30 minutes before I do any hand sewing.  Not a big deal.  But different.  Not something I had to think about in my 40s, or 50s.

Another wake-up moment is when I'm driving and turn around to see what is behind me before going in reverse.  Oooooohhhh ... can't quite make my head turn around enough to get a full picture of what is behind me.  The neck kinda freezes up and just won't go where it used to go ...

Reality.  Inevitability.  Annoyance.  Acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment