Thursday, April 29, 2010

Darci's Dress Up Quilt - Doll #7

Here's the latest quilt block for the Darci's Dress Up project.  I think I'm running out of ideas!  I did have fun with this one, though.  A few weeks ago, DH and I decided to go on a day trip to Idyllwild, a town in our local mountains.  We spent an hour or two rummaging through an antique store and I picked up an old hankie with a crocheted edge.

I carefully separated the edging from the hankie (I'm keeping the hankie for another block in the quilt - perhaps an embroidered vest or apron?) and then used the edging for the collar and pocket trims on this block.  I was worried the edging would fray, so I satin stitched the crocheted edging to the block.  A friend also suggested an application of Fray Check.  Good suggestion!

I think we are halfway through this project, not counting actually putting the blocks together into some kind of quilt!  My thoughts now are to fashion the blocks into two small wallhangings for each of my granddaughters.  That seems to be a manageable goal and one that will motivate me to actually finish a project from these blocks.

I started the next block.  The fabric is blue and white, a favorite color combination of mine.  My plan is to aim for an heirloom sewing look.  Let's see how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment