Thursday, March 25, 2010

Darci's Dress Up Quilt - Doll #5

I really like the way this one came out.  What do you think?

I had the grosgrain ribbon in my stash which matched very well with the fabric.  I used Wonder Tape to fuse the tiny, tiny edging to the back of the ribbon in order to get it placed correctly.  Then I used the Wonder Tape once again to place the ribbon down the center of the dress - edgestitched it all in place on both sides of the ribbon using my favorite Bernina foot, the #10.  (This was all done after the dress body and sleeves were appliqued to the block fabric.)  The decorative stitch on the ribbon is one of the built-in stitches on the Bernina 640.  I should have started the decorative stitch at the very top of the trim; but instead, I decided to do a couple of straight stitches before the first pattern.  After it was done, I didn't like the look so added the pearl button on the top.  I needed this simple dress after the apron fiasco!

Now I have to come up with another idea before the end of this week!  At our Oasis Quilt Guild meeting on Monday, we will be sharing the two dresses we made this month.  Then we get two more pieces of fabric the following week.  Fortunately, I was lucky to purchase a great book on sewing for children, The Complete Book of Sewing For Children, by Elizabeth Travis Johnson.  I will never sew any of these elaborate outfits for my grandchildren, but it is lovely to look at the pictures.  I've garnered a number of ideas for the doll dress quilt, plus it is a fantastic resource.  I find as I age that I want to take the time to do things right - I don't have to rush to finish a project.  I can enjoy the technique and the finishing touches now that time is not of such great importance.  Ah, bliss ....

No comments:

Post a Comment