Monday, November 30, 2009

I think I like this process

I wasn't sure that I was going to like the process used on the Christmas table runner.  Essentially, you are quilting and piecing at the same time.  I'm sure there is a better way of explaining this!  Anyway, I had not done this type of quilting before.  Super easy ... and one that I will definitely use again.  I have the table runner completed except for the binding and the optional tree appliques.  I may (or may not) add the tree appliques.  I'm afraid the appliques might make the table runner too busy looking.  This pattern could easily be adapted to any season of the year.  It might also look fantastic in one color palette with machine embroidery.  Endless possibilities!


As the years go by, hand sewing becomes more of a problem because of arthritis in my thumbs.  Since I have not invested a lot of money in this project, I decided to try putting the binding on completely by machine.  I used a great tutorial on the Red Pepper Quilt blog.  I sewed the binding on from the front and pinned it in place.  Now the hard part!  According to the tutorial, you sew with a walking foot from the front of the quilt in the ditch which - supposedly - secures the binding just over the edge on the back.  We'll see.  I'll finish this up next weekend since I decided to visit my daughter and family until Thursday to help out with babysitting chores.  I'll keep you posted on how it works!  I've got my fingers crossed since doing binding totally by machine will make my enthusiasm soar for making more quilts! 


Thought I'd show a closeup of the fabric, too.  I really like the border fabric, which is ivory with hints of gold metallic.  Very Christmasy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha! I've just discovered your blog.... funny, good stories, lovely sewing.

    Your xmas project is called "quilt as you go" - well, that's what we call it over here in Australia! and Machine sewn binding.... love it. The more you do the better you get - it's all in the pinning!

    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog, Helen, and for the encouragement on machine sewn binding. Too busy with shopping today to get back to the sewing machine. Rain tomorrow will help me stay in the house and sew!

    ReplyDelete