Sunday, November 22, 2009

The awesome power of the Internet

I don't know about you, but I'm regularly awed by the power of the Internet.  Since I went public with my blog just a few days ago, I've had readers from all over the world.  It's been an exciting adventure and also a geography lesson!  I've had lots of fun looking up the names of cities, and even countries, that I've never heard of before.  Thank you, thank you, to all of those who have taken the time to visit.  Please come back!

How does it happen that my words can be read from these distant lands? Beats me. But I'm glad that this wonderful technology is available. I'm also glad that I'm not one of those seniors who avoids learning new things - or at least trying to learn!

There is some disagreement about when the Internet was "born." Most experts point to 1969 as the birth year.  (You can read a little about it here; for a more indepth history, go here.)  National Public Radio had a really funny piece last month on Morning Edition called "An Ode to the Internet's Big Bang." You can read the transcript or listen to the actual broadcast.  I think it's funnier if you listen.  After you listen (or read), see if you can figure out what all the terms actually mean.  Funny stuff.
 
Speaking of 1969, it was a really interesting year.  I Googled "what happened in 1969."  Here is what I found in less than 2 seconds on this amazing Internet:
  • Richard M. Nixon becomes President of the U.S.
  • 1/4 million people march on Washington, D.C., to protest the Vietnam War
  • Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to step on the surface of the moon
  • Ted Kennedy & Chappaquiddick
  • Charles Manson & Family
  • Woodstock
  • Pontiac Firebird introduced
  • First ATM installed in the U.S.
  • Test flight of the Concorde
  • microprocessor invented
  • Sesame Street debuts
  • The Beatles' "Abbey Road" released
  • Brett Favre is born (sorry - remember, I'm a football fan!!!)
And that's just a partial list.  Quite a year - I remember it very well.  It was the year that I fell in love with my best friend.  He's still my best friend, and he cooks for me every Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment