Saturday, July 25, 2009

What ever happened to facings?

I'm working on a summer dress for my oldest granddaughter, who is 3 1/2. The pattern (Simplicity 3853) is pretty simple. The neckline and armholes call for bias tape finishes rather than facing finishes. Guess I'm old-fashioned - I would much prefer a facing finish. I'm not inclined to make my own facing pattern - so I'll just complain!

I have all the time in the world (I'm retired), so I took extra steps to pin and then baste the bias binding before stitching. Then, I trimmed the seam, clipped the curves, pinned, and basted again before doing the topstitching. Lots of time spent sewing for a garment to be worn by a 3-year-old! Momma said, "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right."

Hmmmm ... give me the old facings anytime. Have I missed out on sewing trends? I think the facings were (1) easier and (2) gave a more professional finish. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment