Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Post-Op Benefits - Chapter 1

Two days ago, DH asked if I thought I should call the doctor to tell him that I am very tired and still in need of an afternoon nap.  My response was that I'm 64 years old and not going to bounce back as quickly as I did the last time I had surgery - in 1989!  Considering that I was pretty sick for two days prior to the surgery and had my body beaten up during the surgery, I think I'm doing quite well.  Patience, dear man, patience.  I don't think hubbies do well when spouses are under the weather.

Anyway, I've been looking for some positives to dwell on while I recover.  Being able to take afternoon naps without guilt is at the top of the list.  Getting regular phone calls from baby sister, daughter, and son is a blessing.  My daughter and I talk pretty regularly, and my sister and I talk at least once a week.  But our son is one who only calls when he really has something to say.  It's been nice to have him check up on me.

Reading.  Ah, reading.  I'm a lifelong avid reader.  Growing up, my bedroom was upstairs.  I had the second floor all to myself.  I was permitted to read until Mom called up "lights out."  Being a kid, I learned how to put pillows over the bedlamp and continue reading until I decided it was time for lights out!  Remember the bedlamps that hung over the headboard?  I marvel that I never set the house on fire .... 

With my physical activity restricted, I've spent a lot of time over the last two weeks reading.  Finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  I highly recommend this book especially for those of you who grew up during the 50s and 60s and remember the civil rights movement.  I could not put this book down.  Since my genre of choice is modern mysteries or crime novels, this was a bit different for me.  I'm still thinking about it a week after reading the final chapter.  That's a good book.

Today, I will finish "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."  Wow!  I don't often read two books in a row that keep me turning pages fast and furiously.  No wonder this book has been on the bestseller lists for months.  I can hardly wait to read the remaining two books in the trilogy

John Sandford's new book, "Storm Prey," is waiting for me at the library.  Hmmmm ... can we make this three in a row?

No comments:

Post a Comment