Monday, January 18, 2010

Road to California - Take 2

Road to California had a great exhibit which was an eye opener for me.  I am, and always have been, a visual learner, so this exhibit had a huge impact.  It was titled something like "Quilting Makes the Quilt."  (Again, I apologize for not taking better notes.  I will improve next year!)  Taking the same large quilt block in the same fabric and colors, various quilters experimented with a variety of quilting styles and techniques.  Wow!  What a difference the quilting makes .....

Feast your eyes on just a sampling of the two dozen or so samples:
The example on the left is beautifully done and somewhat traditional.  But look at the sample on the right - colored threads, a little glitz - totally different impact.  These are the only two pictures that I took, but I was fascinated by the exhibit.  Trapunto was featured in several of the blocks, and many had heat-set rhinestones and metallic thread.  One or two used thread couching as embellishment.  Whoever thought of this exhibit is a genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment