Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year - and Resolution #2

I hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve and Day.  We had our usual subdued New Year's Eve celebration.  For more years than I care to remember, we have stayed home and treated ourselves to a special dinner, a bottle of champagne, a movie, and toasting the New Year on Eastern Standard Time - 9 p.m. California time.  We don't party anymore!

Last night, we had crab legs (a first for us), rack of lamb, roasted asparagus (yum!), and baked potatoes.  Believe it or not, this was the first time either of us had had crab legs.  My sister and her hubby have them on a regular basis.  Doug and I enjoyed them and will probably spring for them again for a special meal - he opted not to make Beber's homemade mayonnaise so we just did melted butter.  The lamb was yummy, though it took a bit longer to cook than the recipe called for.  We opened a bottle of pinot noir and never got around to the champagne.

It isn't always easy for us to find a movie that appeals to both of us.  I like the new releases (and special effects never hurt).  Doug leans towards classics and war movies - the ones we've seen countless times and can recite all the lines.  Anyway, we agreed on the newer version of  "The Thomas Crown Affair" and did enjoy it.  How can I object to spending two hours watching Pierce Brosnan in custom-made suits?  Works for me ...

Spent most of today taking down the holiday decorations.  As much as I love seeing them go up, I adore seeing them come down.  This is part of the New Year tradition - let's clean up, clean out, and get organized!  Tomorrow we'll take down the tree and the Dickens Village display above the fireplace, get all the boxes up into the rafters in the garage, and breathe a sigh of relief that our house is back to normal.

No sewing today.  I really expected to start on the binding for the TLC quilt using Sharon Schamber's binding method.  Maybe tomorrow ...

Resolution #1 has gotten off to a pretty bad start.  I did not do any free-motion quilting today.  Let's hope that the other resolutions have greater success.

Resolution #2 is to listen to NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" every week.  The show is fabulous and I cannot understand why I got out of the habit of listening to it.  Try it - you will really, really like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment