Wednesday, September 9, 2009

When I'm 64 ......

I've been celebrating my birthday for about a week now. My actual birthday is September 8, but due to prior commitments, I celebrated with my family last Saturday, the 5th, at a great park in Moorpark, California. Both my children and my 3 grandchildren were with me - it doesn't get better than that (thank you, John Madden). This is the way birthdays were meant to be celebrated!

64 .... one year from Medicare .... two years more than a very close friend was given ..... ten years more than another close friend enjoyed. I'm not trying to be maudlin, but it does give pause. My dad died unexpectedly at 67. I knew at the time that he had died young, but now I realize how very young he was. On my best days, I think that I have 30 years ahead of me. Most days, I believe that I have a good 20 years to go. On thoughtful days, I think that ten would be a gift.

I spent today working on my oldest granddaughter's Halloween costume - a mermaid costume! She is enamored with Ariel, the mermaid from the Disney flick. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'm still around so that I can make her wedding dress or at least help her shop for one!

No comments:

Post a Comment